Sunday, February 26, 2006

Managing your career or life

One of the problems I face is recreating the chain of thoughts I had few weeks ago, and this is one of them, when I was speaking to Prashant and later Amisha. So this is likely to be little vague. Another problem I found since I started to blog is that I cannot explain it well, partially consciously, partially sub-consciously – I feel that we cannot communicate thoughts with perfection in any natural language, we tend to be at different levels of abstraction, another reason of multiple contradicting truths. Any attempts to provide clarification, for example, with an example tend to put you on a different level of abstraction and focus changes to this different level, which is not what was intended.

Let’s put people in boxes, the typical wrong thing to do. People tend to manage their lives or career as – micro-managers, managers and macro-managers. Micro-managers (bhautik) plan every little thing, for example, money, fame, etc. Success usually equates to money. A very practical view of the world, indeed. Managers are concerned, but not obsessed like the former. Nice. Macro-managers (adyathm) surprise me, I think you can feel it, just like other emotions like happiness, which you can feel but not see or hear. Two words summaries them – natural and flow. Everything just happens naturally, and most of things are good or very good, by simply being truly good at heart. Success flows without a real desire for it. (A perfect example for Karmanye Vaadhika-raste, Maa Phaleshu Kadachana).

Which is good? Obviously, all. This follows again from multiple contradicting truths.

Are we born as micro-managers, managers or macro-managers? Hmm. I don’t know what I was born to be (likely manager), but since I have been in touch with one or two macro-managers, it has completely changed the way I think. I’m more and more inclined towards macro-management, a completely different feeling. But there are moments, when I get back being what I was naturally born to be. However, sooner or later, I expect these moments to become fewer, and eventually maybe even disappear.

No comments: